My name is Charlie Place and I have been reviewing on my blog, The Worm Hole, for over 3 years.
I am not your friend, a family member, your tutor or your writing partner.
I mean that in the best of ways.
While these people are great, they do not provide you with the objectivity you need to really hone your book ready for publication.
They may not know about trends and in many cases they don't read much either.
And whilst what they say is well intentioned, you need more.
You need someone who will read your work, give it all their attention, and be completely honest with you.
You need someone who will pick your book apart, tell you what works, and what needs taking back to the drawing board.
You need a developmental editor, a content editor.
That's where I come in.
I will take your manuscript and spend far longer on it than a reader does your average book.
I will do this because I want you to succeed.
No matter who you are or where you are in your writing career, if you believe your book deserves to be read, then you've come to the right place.
The Basics Of My Offer
- My service is to help prepare your manuscript before you send it off to agents or to a proof-reader, tidying up plot holes, helping you develop your characters, and making suggestions for changes. My service is known as a 'developmental edit', 'content edit', and I provide you with a thorough critique.
- Therefore I will not comment particularly on grammar or other errors unless I believe they may be missed in later drafts.
Who You Are And What You Want
- You want to be published, whether that be traditionally or self-published.
- You want your book ready for publication/sending to an agency.
- You have the passion and the drive to really make something of your work. You're not comfortable with the idea of 'good enough' and want to put your all into making your book shine.
- You're looking for advice that is tailored to you, your message, and the work itself, rather than a generalisation of what all books should be.
How Am I Qualified?
- Over 3 years experience in book reviewing.
- My opinion is respected; I have worked with many self-published and traditionally published authors, as well as publishing companies and agencies.
- I have a firm knowledge of trends and readers' reception of them.
- I read all genres, including literary fiction, and non-fiction.
What I Will Do
- Make notes on the manuscript itself and then write a report with further comments - this will include suggestions for changes or rewrites.
- Include my perceptions of ideas and concepts in accordance with current trends as well as what readers like or dislike away from those trends.
- Suggest what content could be removed or added to good effect.
- Work further with you: following the completion of my reading and critiquing your manuscript I'll willingly answering any questions you have via email or skype if preferred (please see terms and conditions). My work with you will not end with my emailing your work back to you.
- I will judge each manuscript according to its category and target audience. This method of working is standard when I review.
- My critiques are extended personalised reviews, far more detailed and mentioning everything rather than only a few points.
- The turn-around time for manuscripts is currently 4 weeks.
What I Will Require
- You will need to provide me with a copy of your manuscript in either Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer format - .doc or .odt format.
- Page numbers, headers, and footers are not required, however if you've drafted your manuscript with them included, that is fine.
- Any extra pages, for example dedications and a table of contents may be included but are unlikely to be critiqued.
- If your work is non-fictional, please include the footnotes/end notes. If these are not yet complete, let me know and I will take that into account when commenting on the manuscript.
- Prices are based on the word count of the manuscript.
- Basic guideline: 50,000 - £250, 100,000 - £500.
The form below is for use if you would like to request a quotation/enquire about becoming a client. Please read my terms and conditions before you submit - it's important you know my working process and where you stand. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that I use Paypal for invoices and payment.
Any questions or other enquiries can be sent direct to email@example.com
If you refer another author to me, you are eligible to receive a 10% cut of the total cost of your friend's critique. In order for this to happen, please ensure your friend adds your name on the form, in the box labelled 'referred by?'
You may also email me to let me know that you have referred someone. You will receive the 10% once the final payment for your friend's critique has been made.
This offer is of course only open to previous clients. A 10% cut of the fee will be provided to one client per critique.
"The review is wonderful. You did an amazing job with it and I think you captured the book perfectly. I love that you really "got" Jodie as well. I know she's a hard pill to swallow, but I think your summary really highlights what I wanted readers to take from her. Thank you for taking a chance on it, and for giving it so much careful thought. I couldn't have been happier!" Laura Rae Amos - author.
"Reviews don't come better than this. [...] So encouraging that the first reviewer got it, am really chuffed." Martin Wagner - author and publisher.
I am planning to self-publish my book, will you work with me?
- Yes. I have a lot of respect for those who 'go it alone'.
My manuscript isn't finished yet but I'd like feedback on what I've written so far, is that an option?
- Of course. Your manuscript need not be finished for me to work on it; I will comment on what you've written so far.
Can I contact you in advance of my manuscript being ready?
- Yes. I'm more than happy to add your work to my schedule, however it's down to you to have the manuscript ready for that time. I can of course re-schedule if given enough notice (say a week or two).
Do you accept non-fiction?
- I do, and I am open to all subjects, but please note that the majority of my experience is in reading historical works, autobiographies/biographies, and memoirs.
- I will focus on how you back up your statements and the extent to which you apply objectivity yourself (unless subjectivity in your manuscript is intended).
Terms & Conditions
- In order for me to begin working with you you will need to provide me with a copy of your manuscript in either Microsoft Word or Open Office Writer format - .doc or .odt format.
- A deposit of 50% of the quoted payment must be received before my work will begin.
- The remaining 50% will be requested upon completion of my critique. The critique will be sent to you after the payment has been received.
- Except in the case of lateness on my part (later return of your work without prior agreement - this includes illness and bereavement), no refunds will be given.
- In the case of a refundable situation, you will be offered your money back in full or to continue working with me. A discount of 25% will be offered for continued work.
- As the notes and report I will be giving you are about your book you are of course free to implement the suggestions at will.
- By submitting your deposit you declare that you agree to the terms and conditions above.
- No one will read the manuscript you submit to me other than myself.
- Once my work with you has ended your manuscript will be deleted from my computer and any notes, digital or physical, will be destroyed.
- If I wish to use your work as an example in a blog post, I will only refer to it in a way that will not give away the plot, characters, and so forth. For example I might say "one client was having trouble with how they presented their thieving anti-hero. I suggested...".
- Apart from the above situation I will in no way discuss your draft manuscript with anyone else.